The temperatures are rising and it’s time to swap our cups of hot cocoa for sparkling water and fruity cocktail drinks. Summer or not, brightly colored and ingredient-filled ice cubes is the coolest way to serve drinks.
Ice cubes are the perfect medium for fruits, herbs, flowers and any edible item imaginable. Use stylish trays to make your ice cubes stand out. Try out these ice cube ideas to freshen up your drinks and make your parties the next talk of the town.
- Chocolate Cubes. Who’s up for hot chocolate in summer? Completely chill a hot chocolate before pouring it into a tray. Add mini marshmallows on top. Serve in iced coffee and indulge yourself. Another variant for your sweet-toothed guests: fill a third of a tray with a chocolate product that hardens into a crisp when poured in a cold surface such as Smucker’s Magic Shell and freeze. Put another layer of milk and freeze again. Top with milk chocolate layer and freeze once more.
- Maraschino Cherry Treat. Give your guests a surprise treat in their refreshing summer drinks. Put a maraschino cherry in each section of an ice tray. Cover with water and freeze. This works well with any drink.
- Floral Ice Cubes. Savor the beauty of flowers by freezing them in ice cubes. Use edible blooms grown for consumption, including rose, tulip, chamomile, pansy, snapdragon, and marigold. Serve to brighten any drinks.
- Lemonade Cubes with a Twist. The strongest thirst is no match to a refreshing glass of lemonade. Make an ice cube form of this concoction: stir thinly-sliced basil leaves in lemonade, then freeze.
- Fruit Juice Ice Cubes. Freeze fruit juices together to add a ton of flavor to your drinks. You can mix pineapple, orange, and apple. Or use concord grapes and cranberries to add more exciting colors.
- Pomegranate Seed Cubes. Create ice cubes with added crunch. Put pomegranate seeds in the tray and add a small amount of water–enough to submerge the seeds. Spread them out and freeze. Add another layer of water and pomegranate seeds and refreeze.
- Citrus Ice Cubes. Combine equal parts water and lemon juice in a muffin tin and add a pinch of sugar. You can add layers of thinly sliced orange and lemons before freezing. The giant ice will bring your party punch to a whole new level.
- Creepy Crawler Ice Cubes. They may be gross to look at, but it can make any kid or adult squirm in delight. Put gummy worms in juice or water and freeze. Infest any drink of choice afterward.
- Hot Stuff Cubes. For a drinking session that needs a little heating up, use these fiery ice cubes. Freeze a prepared horseradish in a little water, add hot sauce, then add another layer of water with a thin jalapeño slice. Serve your own version of a bloody mary.
- Tropical Treat Cubes. You don’t need to go far to get a taste of tropical paradise. Puree equal parts of chopped pineapple and kiwi. Add a little water and pour into a tray. Serve in a fruit juice or sparkling water.